Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hailey's First (White) Christmas!

How awesome was it that our baby's first Christmas also happened to be a white one? When the snowflakes began falling Christmas Eve, I became giddy with joy. I don't believe I have ever seen that kind of snowfall on Christmas, and the fact that it was Hailey's first Christmas made it so special!



Like everyone out there, we stayed very busy over the Christmas weekend, and despite getting another double ear infection, Hailey was a trooper through it all.

We kicked off Christmas eve by going to Kevin's aunt Cathy's to decorate the Christmas cookies. It's a tradition that started when Kevin and his cousins were little kids, now its neat to see our children growing and getting to join in the tradition. We could tell Hailey was not feeling well and by the time we got home she had a 101.5 temp. I put her down for a nap and started getting ready for Kevin's family.

Hailey woke up just in time to see all of Kevin's family arrive at our house for Christmas Eve. When the snowflakes started we ran outside to get a quick pic of her white Christmas! It got a little loud and crazy around here with all those people here, but Hailey did okay and played a little with her cousins. The most special gift she received is a toy box made by her great-grandpa Lester. He put so much time and love into cutting and painting those letters to make sure it matches her room perfectly. We love it- it is such a treasure!



After opening her Santa gifts on Christmas morning, Hailey, Oliver, Kevin, and I braved the snow to head to Nana and Gramps for breakfast. I just love Christmas breakfast! Hailey didn't quite get the hang of opening gifts but she had fun playing with the paper and tape and we did get a few smiles and excited claps.



By lunch time, her fever was up to 103.2 and I was freaking out!!! We called the after hours nurse only to be told that we were pretty much SOL unless we wanted to take her to the emergency room and that we shouldn't be too worried unless her fever gets up to 105. Well, I was worried and I was mad because I was sure it was an ear infection and all I needed was for someone to get us a prescription for a little antibiotic to get us through the weekend. We were supposed to go to my aunt's house in NWA on Saturday and I wanted Hailey to be feeling better.

We got up first thing Saturday morning and headed to the walk-in clinic. It was standing room only and I felt like germs were just leaping onto us as we walked through the door. Kevin took Hailey back to the car and I waited for our turn. Three hours later the doctor confirmed that she did indeed have a double ear infection and we got our prescription. Finally!

Within a couple hours, the fever was coming down. We headed up to NWA for our third day of Christmas. This was Hailey's first long road trip, of course since she was not feeling well she ended up sleeping the whole way. Once again she woke up to open presents and play a little, then it was right back to dozing in Gramps lap.


Sunday was a much better day. We spent most of the day relaxing and Hailey is feeling much better. This Christmas was very busy and stressful, but we survived. All the hard work and running around was worth making Hailey's first Christmas memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment