Thursday, January 15, 2009











Hailey's Arrival





After all the delay and disappointment on Friday, we got up at 4:30am Saturday to head to the hospital. This time they actually had a room for me and my paperwork was ready to go. They said I was lucky to have even got in Saturday because it was so busy, something about a full moon and the changing weather (don't know how superstitious ya'll are - but there were 13 babies born Saturday!)








They took us back to my labor room, told me to put on my hospital gown and got down to business - by the end of the day, I was gonna have a baby! Surprisingly I wasn't nervous. I figured I would have been a nervous wreck! I've never been in the hospital or had any type of major medical procedure -not even a broken bone.






Overall, my labor went well. They started my pitocin about 7:30 and then broke my water a little after noon (talk about one of the most disgusting feelings ever!) At first I felt pretty good and even had the nurse turn up the dosage to increase my contractions, but a couple hours later it caught up to me. It hurt so bad and there was nothing I could do but ball up and cry. I know that was hard for Kevin to see, but he was by my side the whole time. After the epidural, I was feeling pretty good. I probably could have slept most of the time if it weren't for the nurses running in and out. So, now the wait begins.....



My progress was pretty slow, but atleast I wasn't in much pain. The worst was that my legs were so numb, Kevin had to move them for me. Finally about 7:00 that night things started happening. Little by little time was getting closer.



All of a sudden, I was sick to my stomach. The nurses said that meant it was time. Next thing I knew, they were telling me to push. I'm not sure how long it really took, but it seemed like maybe 10 minutes.



Hailey Brooke was born at 9:18pm. She was 8lbs 3oz and 21 3/4 inches long. I will never forget seeing and hearing my baby girl for the first time. What an awesome and rewarding experience! I really felt so proud of myself! I'm also proud of Kevin for being so strong through it all. I know that he saw things that he never imagined and doesn't care about seeing again, but he was a trooper and so supportive. I'm so lucky to have such a loving husband! He's gonna be a great daddy!









Okay, enough mushy stuff. Soon my room filled with family and friends all waiting to see the new arrival. It was a little overwhelming at first, but I'm thankful to be surrounded by so many loving people. Things finally settled down about 2:30am and it was time to end our stressful and joyous 22 hour day.



We spent Sunday and Monday in the hospital, and I think that was worse than the labor and delivery itself. I was really sore and sooooo tired! The hospital beds are the most uncomfortable things ever and I just wanted to come home! We passed the time by visiting with more family and friends - Hailey is quite popular already!








We finally made it home late Monday afternoon and couldn't have been happier. Now begins the first few crazy days at home, but I'll save that for a later posting.


1 comment:

  1. Awe, what a wonderful story! Congratulations again, she is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete