We survived the first week! Hailey is happy and healthy, the dog hasn't gone totally nuts, and I still have my hair!
We got Hailey home and settled before introducing her to our dog Oliver. We were not quite sure how that was going go - Oliver has been our baby for the past 3 years. I when I say baby, I mean it! He is so spoiled, he doesn't realize he's a dog! Oliver did surprisingly well. He was curious more than anything and just wanted to stiff everything, his tail was wagging 100 miles an hour. So far he seems to really like her, he always has to know where the baby is and is quick to let me know every time she makes a peep.
Oliver sees Hailey for the first time
Protective Big Brother
The first couple nights at home were pretty bad. We were so worn out, and she just would not sleep. Its amazing what little sleep the body actually needs to function. Sure, you feel like crap, but somehow you just keep going.
3 days old
So far, the postpartum blues haven't been too bad. I am a little more emotional now and seem to cry easily, but it doesn't usually last more than a couple minutes and then I'm fine and ready to continue my day - dang hormones! I am kinda curious to see what happens in a few weeks once they start leveling off. I really think I'm nicer now than before I was pregnant, I hope it stays that way!
Wednesday was a busy day. Hailey had her newborn checkup that morning. She weighs 7lbs 9-1/2oz. She lost about 1/2 pound which they say is pretty normal. While they were checking her, she messed right there on the exam table, I was so embarrassed! But the nurse assured me that it happens all the time. Wednesday afternoon, Katie brought her little boy Tatum over to play. It was so cute! He is only 6 weeks older than Hailey, it was amazing to see how much they change in just a few short weeks. Hailey got to stay with my parents for a couple hours that evening while Kevin and I went to buy more baby stuff. Yes, its never ending! I was a little worried to leave her, but it was nice to get out of the house. We ended up talking about her the whole time, of course!
The past couple days have been better. She is sleeping longer, so we are at least getting a few straight hours of sleep. We're finally starting to get the hang of this whole parenthood thing. The first couple days we were so careful, now we just plop her down change her diaper and not worry so much. Still working on the bath though, she absolutely hates it! I've also learned to do many things one handed - so if you ever see a misspelled word or a stray symbol mixed in my blog, its probably cause I'm typing one handed at 3 in the morning!
Chillin after a bath
I'm hoping next week is a little warmer so I can get her out and show her off a little. I can't believe our angel is already a week old! Its both exciting and sad to know they grow so fast.
5 days old


Awe!! We are SO CLOSE! I just can't wait! I want to meet your little angel soon ok? :)
ReplyDelete