While reflecting on the past year of mommyhood, I've decided to share with you some of the things I have learned since becoming a mother - the good, the bad, and the ugly! Enjoy!
The bond between mother and child is instant. Even while she was still in the womb, Hailey and I had a connection. It was like I already knew her the moment she was born. And just when I think I can't possibly love her any more than I do in that instant, my love for her continues to grow with every passing moment.
Father-daughter bonds are a big thing too! Growing up a daddy's girl, I always hoped that one day my daughter would have a great relationship with her father. Let's face it, no need to worry about this one. Kevin and Hailey are gaga for each other! Her first word was DaDa.
Being shy and self-conscious goes right out the window when you have a baby. The moment you put that hospital gown on, its like you put out a welcome sign to any Tom, Dick, and Harry with a medical badge to come check you out. (This was probably one of my biggest fears prior to arriving at the hosptial.)
Speaking of the body, your body is never the same after having a baby. Sure, I weigh the same as I did pre-baby and wear the same clothes, but they do not fit the same! It just seems like everything is a little droopier. My sweet husband tries to convince me otherwise, maybe I should listen a little more.
Midnight feedings (and 2:00, and 4:00 feedings) are real pain in the neck, but just when you think you can't take it anymore, they figure out how to sleep through the night. Crazy as it sounds, I occasionally miss those middle of the night feedings of just me and my baby sitting in the recliner watching the same infomercial over and over.
Without fail, a baby will puke on your fresh, clean shirt just as you are getting ready to go out the door!
Dawn dish soap and a tootbrush are awesome at removing, puke, poop, or any other baby stain.
Yes, I'll admit I have picked my childs nose with my bare finger and used my own spit to clean her face! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!
When they are first born, you just can't wait until they can lift their heads, support themselves, sit up, rollover, crawl, walk, etc...... Those days come WAY too FAST! Don't wish your days away.
We literally have thousands of pictures just from Hailey's first year of life. Ridiculous I know, but whenever I sit down to weed them out, I just can't bring myself to delete even the bad, goofy face ones. But, does overloading my computer memory really hurt anyone?
My priorities have totally changed since having a baby. Long gone are the days of spontaneous wardrobe shopping trips and late nights playing nintendo. Now I'm (usually) happy wearing the same old clothes I had last year, just window shopping, and staying up past 11 is unheard of.
The greatest lesson I've learned this past year is patience! It has taken me 28 years and a child to learn this virtue, but I think I've come a long way!
And probably the best of all...No matter how crappy my day was or how many tantrums Hailey threw, holding my baby while she falls asleep in my arms melts all my troubles away-and my heart too!
Friday, January 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment